Thursday, January 12, 2012

French Macaron With Lemon Cream



Salam to all,

This is my 2nd attempt at making these little beauties and this time round I am really proud of myself as they all turn out 100% perfect (in my eyes and taste buds lah) *ehemmmsss* :p  Giving my self a pat on the back and hopping on 1 leg, a star jump and errrr I am tired after all that excercises hehehehez.  Before u read further, do bear with me as this is gonna be 1 longggggggggg entry with heaps of photos.  I am entitled to this bragging rights......la la la la la la :D

The story goes.....I had 6 egg whites left over from making the custard sauce so I aged them.  Only made 1 batch, using approx 2.5 egg whites as I wasn't confident of the outcome of the macarons and how they will turn out.  This time round, I wanted to colour them red but was stopped by Jannah when I wanted to add more red colouring gel bcos she wanted them to be pink.  So, pink it is....in her eyes they are still pink but to me they look a little pinky orangy hehehehez.

For the filling, I used this lemon cream recipe which was highly recommended by Rima.  The lemon cream on its own is really not to my liking as I am not a lemonly/citrusy person but........There is a BUT ok.  When it's combined with the macaron shell!!!!  OMG!!!!!  It taste oh so yummmmmmzzzzz nesssssss.  The sourness of the cream really cuts the sweetness of the macaron shell.  Biting into 1 was just so perfect.  Thank u Rima for sharing these 2 wonderful recipes ;)





They all have feets.....


Not a single shell cracked...



No difference baking on a silpat or baking paper. Left - Silfpat, Right - Baking Paper.  They both came off easily.  I removed them from the tray to the cooling rack once they are out from the oven using just my bare, heatproof fingers...ahakkkksss


Source : Rima @ Bisousatoi
Ingredients
Swiss Meringue
80g egg white (at room temperature)
65g caster sugar
80g ground almond
140g icing sugar
1/2tsp lemon juice
yellow colouring powder (I used wilton red colouring gel)

Method
Swiss Meringue Macarons:
1. Line 3 to 4 baking trays with silicon sheet. (I used silpat & baking paper)
2. Use a round cookies cutter, press it into some cocoa powder or flour.
3. Use the cookies cutter to make some round imprint on the silicon sheet and set aside.
4. Sift icing sugar and almond together and set aside.
5. Pour sugar and egg white into a heatproof pan and place it over a saucepan of simmering water.
6. Stir constantly until sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch (about 50 to 55C).
7. Pour the egg white and lemon juice into the mixing bowl with the whisk attachment and beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks then add in the powder colouring.
8. Continue to beat until the egg white has cooled down and it look smooth and shiny. (medium peak but not dry)
9. Fold in the sifted mixture in 4 portions into the meringue. Do not over fold batter until it turn watery, batter should be slightly thicker than cake batter.(I hv tried dumping the sifted mixture all at once.. it works too)
10.Spoon batter into a piping bag and pipe it within the round imprint which had made earlier on.
11.Let the macarons to rest for 30mins.
12.Preheat oven to 150C.
13.Bake a tray at a time for 20-25mins, depend on individual oven. (I baked mine for 20 mins)
14.Remove macarons and cool on a wire rack. (if ur having difficulty removing shell, spray a little water (mist) under baking sheet.. let it sit for a few sec and peel it off)




Source : Rima @ Bisousatoi I only made half of the recipe ~~ For full recipe, pls click the link <-





Ingredients :
6 Tblsp Lemon Juice
Lemon Zest (As much as u want)
2 Eggs
120g Caster Sugar
125g Unsalted Butter - Room Temperature



Method :
To make the lemon cream, place the sugar in a large bowl.
Grate finely the zest of the lemons and add them to the sugar.
Mix with the tip of your fingers.
Add the eggs and lemon juice and whisk well.
Place the bowl over a pot of simmering water without touching, in order to thicken the cream. It is ready when it coats a wooden spoon.
Remove from the heat and let cool a little before adding the pieces of soft butter. Mix well by hand first until the butter is melted, then with a hand mixer to lighten the cream. It can take a few mins



Now, I am just itching to try out more macaron recipes....hehehez.....Ta Ta For Now ;)


10 comments:

kasihredha said...

kalau buat sendiri baru puas hatikan..
tp akak cuma boleh makan satu aje setiap kali mkn sebab too sweet.
Kalau buat sendiri, boleh kurangkan sugar sikit kot.

Anie said...

Mmg betol Kak Kasih kalau buat sendiri mmg puas hati ;) Masa I dkt sg, satu biji cost $2.50 each. Tapi mmg manis, tak bole mkn byk2 hehehez. Kurangkan caster sugar dlm recipe mmg bole rasanya. Nak kena confirm dgn mac queen aka Rima ;)

CS said...

Anie
You said TATA FOR NOW after you make my saliva tumpah kebumi???? Huwaaaa... tak aci..

Namun.. syabas!!! *sambil also hopping one leg* untuk memeriahkan kejayaan, auwwww...tumpang bangga *boleh ke?*

Anie said...

Somuffins,

Cik Som, I tumpang bangga sbb u pun nak tumpang bangga dgn kejayaan I ahakkkssss. Sambil2 tu, baru i ter reliase that i spelled hoping instead of hopping wahahahahaz ;)

Pat saliva tumpah ke bumi...alamak tu I tak boleh tolong. Jauh sgt nak share dgn u these macs :D

Rima said...

Well done my dear! Yep the only way for u to 'stablelized' the sweetness of macs is sour , salty or richness of bitter sweet dark chocolate.. I loved this lemon cream in macs.. Loved passion fruits white chocolate in macs.. Enak banget! Hate any kind of fillings with any kinda buttercream in macs.. Just my two cents worth..

Anie said...

Tenkiu many2 Rima....I haven't tried salty or butter cream filling yet. Totally agree with ur dua sen that dark choc & this lemon cream really suits the macs....sedappppp.

Yat Maria said...

Muahahahah...kita sepusat sepusing... berkat telepathy si kamben2..kahkahkah..apa kata I plaj order dari you sekapal laut at 15 a piece..hahahaa...baru aci!

Anie said...

Yat...

Yikkesss itu mcm ka?? I yg nak beli u punya macs dulu. Mana boleh u plak nak beli I punya balik hehehez. Tak per lah u boleh suruh dudan u yg baik hati tu cuci all the bowls lepas u buatkan the macs for his frens ;pppp

Btw terror arh u rhyming...boleh buat lagu rap kalau mcm ni ahakkksss :D Lepas tu bole buat album and u akan lebih kaya drpd jual macs.....LOLzzz

Yanti Othman said...

anie, macaroons turn out so perfect.. i believe nice to see and nicer to eat.. dah boleh bukak bakery nih..

Anie said...

Tenkiu many2 Yanti ;) sedap dimakan mmg sedap tapi takut lah plak nak makan many2 sbb mmg manis.

Kalau ada duit many2....mmg bercita2 (yg mungkin tak jadi kenyataan) nak bukak bakery 1 day ahakkksss..